Sweet Potato Casserole
- 3 c cooked and mashed
sweet potatoes (about 3 large potatoes roughly 3 lb total weight -
If you cook them in a pan with water make sure you really drain them well).
- 1/3 c melted butter
- 1/3 c sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- ½ c milk - 1% is fine
- 1 c packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 c flour
- 1 c chopped pecan or walnut pieces
- ½ stick melted butter
1. Combine the filling ingredients and mix well.
Spread in a greased 9" x 13" pan, or 2" x 9" pie plate or one deep 10" pie plate.
2. Mix the topping ingredients and sprinkle over the sweet potato mixture.
3. Bake in a 350° oven for 30 minutes to 40 minutes depending on dish used for
cooking. The casserole rises like a cake and then will deflate on cooling.
A wide, shallow dish should be ready in 30 minutes, the deep 10"
will take the 40 minutes.
If you refrigerate it overnight for baking fresh on Thanksgiving
it will take longer because you are starting with colder ingredients.
Oonagh Williams, proprietor of Royal Temptations, has a Culinary Arts degree, offers Catering services,
teaches a variety of classes in International Cooking, makes regular appearances on WMUR ABC Channel 9's
Cooks' Corner and has her own series on Merrimack TV. You can contact Oonagh at 603-424-6412.