Orange Almond Salad
Method1. In a small non stick pan over medium heat gently melt sugar and water and cook sugar syrup until it turns to a light golden brown.
2. Toast almonds in 350° oven for 5-10 minutes until lightly brown.
Add toasted almonds to browned caramel and gently cook almonds and caramel until caramel turns a slightly darker golden color. Take care not to burn the sugar and therefore the almonds.
3. Once cooked, remove from pan, pour onto piece of foil, cool, break into pieces and store in an air tight container for several days until needed.
4. Combine all dressing ingredients and chill.
5. Place lettuce in a bowl. Top with scallions, peppers, celery, bacon, and oranges.
6. Just before serving top with almonds and dressing, toss and serve.
I think this would also be good with fresh strawberries and mangoes instead of mandarins. Also substitute chopped pecans or walnuts for the almonds.
Send your comments to
Oonagh Williams, proprietor of Royal Temptations, has a Culinary Arts degree, offers Catering services, teaches a variety of classes in International Cooking, makes regular appearances on WMUR ABC Channel 9's Cooks' Corner and has her own series on Merrimack TV. You can contact Oonagh at 603-424-6412.